Sunday, January 24, 2010

You don't have to be disagreeable when you disagree

When a friend makes a remark about the weather that you disagree with, it's easy to dismiss such a trivial matter without getting upset. However, if the subject changes to politics, religion, or other sensitive subjects, a simple misunderstanding can become a disagreement, which then leads to a quarrel, which, in turn, could end in bitterness and a breakup.
Friendships are too important to break up over silly squabbles. What's the point of 'winning' an argument if it results in losing a friend? To prevent needless breakups, arm yourself with a basic understanding of human nature and how we communicate. You may find one or more of the following points helpful on your journey to these goals.
Most disagreements are caused by misunderstandings. That is, you disagree with someone not because you have a different opinion, but because you misunderstand the opinion of your friend. The first thing to keep in mind is that misunderstandings are unavoidable. The bad news is misunderstandings can become quarrels. The good news is that with awareness, you can change misunderstandings to understanding and acceptance, which will deepen your friendships.
Why is misunderstanding inevitable? Well, it's has to do with the nature of casual communication. Let's say I'm among a circle of friends and wish to share an idea, and it's my turn to speak. The idea is completely clear in my mind, but to explain it in great detail is somewhat laborious. Besides, if my explanation is too long-winded, I'm apt to be cut off by a friend who is eager to jump into the discussion. So, to make my task less laborious and reduce the likelihood of being cut off in mid-sentence, what do I do? I abbreviate, shorten, and clip my ideas to get them out faster and easier. However, by reducing the details of my point, I unwittingly introduce vagueness and ambiguity. This lack of clarity leads to confusion and misunderstanding.
Even after verifying and clarifying, you may still disagree with your friend. Such disagreements are unavoidable because of our differences. As long as we remember that it is our differences that provide learning experiences and variety to life, we will be able to disagree without becoming disagreeable. Learn to become tolerant. Tolerance is expansive. It is about growth and enjoyment.

If you are married, your most important friend is your spouse. Why not repeat to your spouse the words of 'Dr. Love' (Leo Buscaglia, 1924 ~ 1998), "A single rose can be my garden. a single friend, my world." Then add, "YOU are my friend and my world." And prove it by mastering the art of compassionate communication: the art of listening, learning, and being sensitive and supportive. Eliminate quarrels at home. But should one occur when your guard is down, use it to deepen your relationship by quickly apologizing and making up.

This is something I need and hope to be able to fulfill into my life daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment